Monday, May 16, 2011

#14 - Fleur De Lis


Fleur de Lis
8" x 8"
Oil on Canvas
SOLD


This painting and several others you may see over the next couple of weeks are for an art fair that I'll be participating in on Saturday, June 18th. The "Fleur de Lis Art Fair" is a 1st annual event being held by one of our local resteranteurs and I'm really hoping that it's the start of an annual fair. As far as I know there is nothing like it right now in this part of the city. So, in order to stay with the theme, I will be painting several of these to sell.

I'm pretty happy with this overall. I was going for a more illustrated feel to it rather than "realistic" for what that's worth. I added some black lines for definition instead of relying on shadows to show separation. Not sure it's my favorite, but I like the background really well. This is also the first painting I've done where I've covered the canvas in black gesso before getting started. I have been having issues getting my darks as dark as I'd like and I read where a well-known artist Karin Jurick always starts on a black base. So, I hopped over to Preston Arts and picked up some black gesso. I think I got positive results with it.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment