Thursday, April 19, 2012

12:7 Emily

Emily
8" x 8"
Oil on Canvas Board
NFS

And last, but certainly in my mind, not least, there's Emily.

For a long time, there were not many girl kids on my mom's immediate side of the family. Mom was the oldest of 6 and the only girl child. She in turn had 3 children; myself, my big brother and my little sister. The rest of the cousins for many years were boys. 8 more boys. It was 9 to 2 for years. Then came along Emily and later, her sister Jacklyn and our cousin Cassie. My sister and I were thrilled. Finally, more girls to try to even things out in a very old-fashioned, male-centric family. Poor Emily had to grow up with 3 older brothers. But from a very early age, she had steel in her gaze, holds her own with the brothers and they would kill just about anyone that would hurt their little sis.

Today things are still lop-sided somewhat. My family has gained more girl children with the next generation of kiddos which consist of 6 boys and 4 girls...so far.

So even though Emily and I don't get to see each other nearly as much as I'd like and are separated by twenty-something years, we are just. like. that. (Holds up crossed fingers) and I hope she knows that in years to come, no matter what, she can always give me a call to bail her out of trouble.



No comments:

Post a Comment